Saturday, July 19, 2008

Living Simply

I have saved this for years - always aspiring to live up to it - often falling far short to parts of it. It was written by William Ellery Channing:

MY SYMPHONY

To live content with small means;
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion;
To be worthy, not respectable,
and wealthy, not rich;
To study hard, think quietly,
talk gently, act frankly;
To listen to stars and birds, to babes
and sages, with open heart;
To bear all cheerfully, do all bravely,
await occasion, hurry never;
In a word, to let the spiritual,
unbidden and unconscious, grow up
through the common ....
this is to be my symphony.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and GREAT daily aspiration Rose! I am adding that to my daily meditation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Rambling Rose said...

I'm so glad you like it, DW. If I could make me just the way I want to be, this would be it!

Rose said...

Beautiful.

DammitWomann said...

Rose - I try to remember "the journey is real life." The spirit of our journey is as important - perhaps even MORE important - than the arrival of our destination.

Sometimes, however, I have to slow down, breathe deep, and tap into this message. Sometimes I forget.... and then life gets topsy-turvy.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

I have had the Blessing of Simplification, having moved from the "Big Ol' House" at Walkabout into my much more mundane Lair.

Little to no maintenance, I can sit on my rear deck and watch the humming birds feed right over my head.

Play my Flute, read, cook, snuggle, and enjoy the lives of my Cubs......

I am So Wealthy.

Rambling Rose said...

Right on!

Rambling Rose said...

Thanks, Rose. I so agree.

Rambling Rose said...

I am finally getting that, Mary Ellen. It only took me 59 years. Thank you for sharing.