Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dreamwork

It is only recently that I realized that it was my father's pain I spent my lifetime carrying. I never learned how to separate myself from it until I braved the hidden depths, sorted out whose pain was whose, keeping only what was mine to deal with.

I married young and it was a painful experience. At that time in my life, I only knew how to relate to a man through his pain - and my husband was running away from his pain in a bottle instead of dealing with it. It took 17 years for that to claim his life, setting us both free from misery.

This is when I made my first inner journey in an attempt to know myself better and to learn a new way of relating to the world and the people in it. I wanted to learn how to love in a healthier way; and I wanted my life to reflect that love. This is when I discovered the gift of working with my dreams - an ability we all have if we choose to develop it. Over the years, I have used this new found tool to explore the more hidden parts of myself. Dreams make it impossible to deceive yourself - they force you to face even those deep, dark secrets that make it impossible for you to love yourself.

No comments: