Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Family

A person travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.

- George Moore

My son and his wife were home for a few days. It was wonderful having them here once again. Monday my son spent his whole morning in the living room on one conference call after the other. His wife was sitting in the kitchen chatting with my granddaughter while getting her hair straightened.

I found myself totally relaxing - contented with the sounds of family going about their business around me.

New and different sounds but comforting in their familiarity.

This morning, I am remembering what it was like for me when I was younger - returning home for a visit and then back to my busy life - refreshed, refueled, renewed by my visit home.

Now I am the one being left behind at the home place - the one keeping the home fires burning. But once again I feel those same feelings - of being refreshed, refueled, renewed by the visit.

I remember reading somewhere once that at the end of the day, eagles get together with their loved ones - touching each other - snuggling into one another - that physical contact giving them what they needed.

It's amazing to me just how comforting it is hearing your family coming and going around you. It's my age, I guess. But I needed this visit - the contentment I feel will keep me going through the remainder of this long, cold winter.

This unexpected visit has brought spring back into my heart. And the memories will see me through whatever life brings.

2 comments:

DammitWomann said...

Oh Rose - I know just what you mean. I get such a full heart when my GRANDS are here with me. The chatter, tv or radio on, giggles, etc. I walk around with a grin on my face and feel like I have won the lottery. I usually explain that feeling as "warmth - like if you had a favorite sweater on" - nothing feels as good - or as comfortable. Glad you had such an awesome visit.

Rambling Rose said...

Thqnks, DW. I am glad that you also identify with what I am talking about. Contentment like no other!