Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Music Of Life

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be.
The last of life, for which
the first was made.

Robert Browning

I gotta own up to it. I love that good old-time country music. The kind we used to hear a long time ago.

Every Saturday night from 6 to 9, I get to tap my toes as I drift down memory lane.

Did you ever notice when you hear those songs from many years ago, you can pinpoint the phase of life you were at when you first heard it? You also remember the people who were the most important to you at that time in your life.

Truthfully, parts of us we long ago thought dead respond to music we love. I remember one time going to hear this lady sing who has made music her ministry. She goes to the hospital playing and singing people's favorite songs for them (often requested by the family member present). She shared memories of people having a tear rolling down their cheek in response to the songs. This gave the family great comfort because they visited and talked to this family member without knowing if they were even being heard.

Music seems to reach a deeper part of ourselves. I grew up in the Catholic church, but moved on to the Anglican church to raise my children, and now on to the United church in my older years. But to this day, if I hear a bit of Catholic music being played, I feel my spirit respond for all it's worth.

3 comments:

DammitWomann said...

Oh Yes Rose. Music knows no boundaries and goes to depths we aren't even aware of. Like you, music speaks to my soul.

PS - Gospel music is a true love of mine.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Agreed DW, and of course, Today being St. Patrick's....a little jig might be good......

Rambling Rose said...

I just love an Irish jig - love that good old Irish music. It is right in my blood - being of Irish descent. "Happy Paddy's Day to ya"!