Friday, February 1, 2008

Blossoming

My first husband died when our children were entering their teens.

He was a troubled man. I was very introverted and agonizingly shy when we first started going together in my teens.

My favorite memory of him as a husband is when we watched tv together. He would lay with his head at one end of the couch and I would lay my head at the other end of the couch. Our legs would be intertwined as we enoyed whatever show we were watching together. Our children would be watching tv along with us, or coming and going with their friends. The dog was in the center of it all.

He got jealous whenever I shared a laugh with somebody else. I found that strange once I realized it was happening.

I understand now.

I became way too serious after he died. Life was easier in so many ways; but the responsibility was all mine...

Then I met my second husband...A man who liked to chase rainbows...I had never seen a man Play before. I was smitten.

He had a voice so gentle that when he spoke, it washed all the tension out of my shoulders.

I loved to call him on the phone. He had this way of answering the phone that made me fall in love with him all over again - even after seventeen years.

In the early days of our relationship, he ran away from his feelings for me. And he would leave my world for awhile. It always felt like he took the sunshine with him; and I would be left with my over-serious self.

I would throw myself into living life without him; and eventually he would return.

We built a good life together - a life that respected who we were as individuals. We never put pressure on each other to be anything other than what we were. We just enjoyed one another.

And because we gave each other so much space to be who we were, we each Blossomed.

He learned to become a little more responsible. And I learned to chase a few rainbows - and Play a little.

4 comments:

Linda Sue O'Grady said...

Today, for the first time ever, I said those words... "I am smitten." I have never been before but I am now. What a wonderful word for a wonderful feeling. And what a wonderful surprise it was to find it here in your post. Thank you sharing, your words made my spirit soar.

It seems to me that you have been blessed with the love of two very wonderful men.

I hope that you are still sharing laughs, chasing rainbows, and that you have not forgotten how to play.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

"Smitten"....beautiful word, PWW. Don't know why that just jumped out at me......but thanks.

Are you well? Haven't posted in a bit? Thoughts are with you.

Wollf

Rambling Rose said...

Lindasog- am delighted in your "smittenness" - ain't it wonderful? Just Be who you are and Enjoy who he is - and no matter what the end result is, it will have been worth it for both of you. That is the wonderful thing about Being Real with one another. Thanks for your comment - it's always a pleasure!

Rambling Rose said...

Thanks for your concern, Wollf. Two things going on for me. One - I got a Himalayan salt lamp for Christmas and put it near my computer as suggested; and it has given me very sore eyes. And two -the time has come for my niece and I to say our good-byes (twelve more days). New goodbyes (even when you initiate them) trigger old goodbyes and accumulated toxic waste. I have been dragon-slaying. I WILL return! Thanks.