Friday, January 18, 2008

Making A Statement

My friend Wollf got me thinking about honor and integrity yesterday. You would think they are one and the same thing....and they are...in a way.

But for me it kept wanting to be written from a feeling level as a woman of integrity/a man of honor. Why? I don't know.

I couldn't write a post yesterday because I could tell something was wanting to surface....from deep in the bowels........but wasn't quite ready for words. I've been in touch with angry feelings for the last couple weeks....at no particular thing....at everything....at nothing...I didn't know.

Today I am presented with this from deep inside myself:


Man In Black by Johnny Cash

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town.
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought to be a Man in Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man in Black.

I'M THE WOMAN IN PHAT!

13 comments:

Foxfier said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRmJyIyJbM

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Honor is more the masculine form, I suppose....good insight as always, PWW.

What's wrong with testing as a good guy/gal Ranger? Don't be so hard on yourself....you're doing fine.

Wollf40

Rambling Rose said...

foxfier,formerly sailorette - Thanks for leaving a respose; I always welcome them - look forward to them actually. You are really making me work for this one, though.

In order to view it, I had to first join - and it took me half an hour to finally come up with a user name they didn't have and I was coming up with some dandies by the end of it.

Finally, I became a member and they say the video is not available. I am becoming "curioser and curioser".

Rambling Rose said...

You are very generous, Wollf, to give me the benefit of the doubt on that one. But I don't really think there is a masculine and feminine connotation to those words - except inside me - on a feeling response level.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else responds to those two words differently. It kind of took me by surprise when I did - then I had to explore it further. And it led me to places I really needed to go - places I would not otherwise have gone.

Thanks for the validation on the other subject also, Wollf. January has been a heavy month. I just need to give myself permission to let go and lighten up. I'm working on it.

Foxfier said...

Oh, ick! It wasn't supposed to make you JOIN!

Bloody youtube being funky again.... for the longest time, it wouldn't give you accurate links; I guess they're having that problem AGAIN!

It's supposed to just be Jonny Cash singing "Man in Black" back in '71, on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRmJyIyJbM

Does this one work?

Rambling Rose said...

I planned on contacting you and letting you know the blessed morning I had because of joining youtube, Foxfier.

After trying for a third time to see what you had sent me, I decided to find Johnny Cash singing "The Man In Black". I actually found two versions of it which I enjoyed immensely. I ended up spending two hours sitting there enjoying great music - one song leading me to another.

Thanks for pushing me to broaden my horizons! I never would have done it without ya.

Foxfier said...

*grin* I'm glad you were able to find something good!

Oddly enough...after I posted the second time, I spent most of the morning surfing around youtube and enjoying the music, myself.

There's a lot of bad, but there's also so much good!

Anonymous said...

2weeks ago, a friend gave me a dvd of Johnny Cash's old TVshows and the Man in Black song moved me to tears, even though I head heard it many times previously throughout the years(being an avid Country Music fan).
It is obviously time for these words to have the necessary affect from the Universe, which seems to be speaking clearly to us right now through songs such as this.
Love you all. Rushing Water.

Rambling Rose said...

What a thought-provoking comment. Thank you for sharing it with us. We can take that thought along so many avenues of thinking - all worthy of exploration.

One avenue for me is that those of us who were adults at the time the song was written are old enough to be considered "survivors" of that era.

We have not found a remedy for the things he sang about in that song; so we feel them all the more deeply. We've lived longer - seen even more of the consequences of what he is referring to - even lived some.

Many of us have had to watch our children and grandchildren take things even further in the wrong direction.

And this whole song is So Much about Life lived with Honor and Integrity; and even for those of us who try to do that in the big things, we are often falling short in the little things.

Our wounds from childhood, our character flaws, our human weaknesses just keep getting in the way. It is a good thing it doesn't rest solely on our shoulders.

Anonymous said...

I never liked Johnny Cash.

Rambling Rose said...

You have my sympathies, Anonymous.

Rambling Rose said...

I was rethinking my response to you, Anonymous. That remark was a little flippant on my part. Different people and different things speak to each of us. For example - I know what a great fan you are of Elizabeth Taylor - she doesn't do a thing for me. Now you take Johnny Cash, John Wayne, John Travolta - NOW you are speaking my language.

Anonymous said...

Ick! John Revolta? I liked Elizabeth because of her beauty not her personality. John Wayne was a good man. Johnny Cash, in later years, became a better person. Yep. To each his own. So true.
No offense was taken to your response, rose.