Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New Traditions

I don't think we set out to start a new tradition. A year just comes along when you have to do something different for one reason or another, and it goes over so well that people don't want to give it up - and sometimes they even build on it.

Like my family and peanut brittle.

One year, I was struggling for ideas for filling my son's Christmas stocking. He was at that age where he was too old for toys; but too young for shaving equipment.

One of the items I came up with was a box of peanut brittle. I didn't realize how much he liked it until the following year when I didn't buy him any. "What do you mean, you didn't buy any?" he asked. "That's tradition."

Well, it was from then on. Eventually I found a recipe for making my own peanut brittle in the microwave; and thought I would give it a try. That was an even bigger hit.

Part of each Christmas, while my son and daughter were in university, was spent with all three of us in the kitchen making peanut brittle for friends and family as gifts. Not one to be left out of the fun, my husband even helped.

Now, it is a tradition we each carry on in our own homes - making homemade peanut brittle for friends and family while savoring many pleasant memories.

2 comments:

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Well? Well? I am sooo tired of being serious.

You going to send me some of thet brittle, or are you just going to tease this old Wollf?

Thanks for a cheery post....and thank you so much for a particular surgical deletion you've done for me.

I'll write and tell you a tale.
Wollf

Rambling Rose said...

Yes, it is time to walk with a lighter step - making way for Christmas in our lives - making it the best Christmas we can with whatever resources are there for us to work with - however limited. Like the little drummer boy - if we give what we find in ourselves to give - it is enough.